Some of the world's greatest athletes (past and present) are chiropractic patients
English Premier League club Chelsea FC
They utilize chiropractic treatment to prevent injury, enhance performance and correct muscle spasm and joint subluxations.
Football and Chiropractic
Why do I need a pre-season check-up ?
Every footballer regardless of age or grade can benefit from a pre-season chiropractic check-up. Common injuries such as hamstring strains can often be the result of pelvic misalignment - something a chiropractor can identify and manage. Issues of general health are also discussed at the check-up and if necessary, the player can be referred on for further medical investigations. Pre-season is the time to work on fitness and healing without the pressure of upcoming games and intensive training sessions.
Regular Check-ups Throughout the Season
This is strongly advised. Frequency of check-ups will of course vary from player to player but this is the only way to know if spinal structures are in alignment. Remember that spinal subluxations and pelvic misalignments have far-reaching consequences, especially when put through gruelling training sessions. No amount of stretching will overcome the neurologically induced muscle spasm that results from a spinal subluxation. It must be corrected by your chiropractor.
Professional football teams such as Chelsea F.C. (pictured) use chiropractic to help maintain optimum fitness. Whilst most of the world's 300 million footballers do not play at this level, there is much to be gained from following the fitness examples set by these players in regards to personal discipline, nutrition, injury prevention and management.
LINKS TO THE FIFA 11+ TRAINING MANUALS AND VIDEOS ARE PROVIDED ON THE RESOURCES FOR FOOTBALLERS PAGE:
Play Better Sport : The pre-season check-up in detail
SMA Professional Membership
This applies to all sports
Sports Chiropractic helps you to prepare for the sporting season by:
Correcting joint misalignments (subluxations) that interfere with your performance
Reducing energy loss due to unnecessary muscle spasm
Sports massage with treatment
Treatment to minimize the risk of hamstring strain
Postural advice for on and off the field
Training tips for injury prevention
Age-specific advice (young players have different requirements to older players)
FIFA 11+ TRAINING MANUALS AND RECENT RESEARCH WILL BE PROVIDED UPON REQUEST
Sports Medicine Australia's Adult Pre-Exercise Screening System
Cristiano supports Pre-Exercise Screenings
Please answer the following questions:
1. Has your doctor ever told you that you have a heart condition or have you ever suffered a stroke?
2. Do you ever experience unexplained pains in your chest at rest or during physical activity/exercise?
3. Do you ever feel faint or have spells of dizziness during physical activity/exercise that causes you to lose balance?
4. Have you had an asthma attack requiring immediate medical attention at any time over the last 12 months?
5. If you have diabetes (type I or type II) have you had trouble controlling your blood glucose in the last 3 months?
6. Do you have any diagnosed muscle, bone or joint problems that you have been told could be made worse by participating in physical activity/exercise?
7. Do you have any other medical condition(s) that may make it dangerous for you to participate in physical activity/exercise?
If you answered NO to all of these questions you may proceed with light to moderate physical training, but if you answered YES to any of these questions please see a health professional for further screening.